Elder Friend or Relative in a nursing home on Valentine’s Day?
Let someone know you care by delivering these easy-to-make homemade Raspberry Patch Crumb Bars. The companionship they’ll attract is like giving your loved one a hug all day long.
Raspberry Patch Crumb Bars Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs and extract. Press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining sugar; add berries and gently toss. Spoon over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 3 dozen.Editor’s Note: If using frozen raspberries, do not thaw before tossing with cornstarch mixture.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 131 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Raspberry Patch Crumb Bars published in Country Woman August/September 2007, p27
Click here for more ideas and recipes